Wednesday, April 7, 2010

feeling sentimental

I recently read a blog post that my friend Angi posted about a vintage print that hung on her Great Grandma's wall. She asked readers if there was a vintage print, or a wall hanging that meant something to them. At the time I really couldn't think of any, but at Easter we found out that Dan's older brother and his wife are going to keep bees. Some people were a little freaked out by it, but I was and am so excited. When I was little my Great Grandma kept bees, I was so fascinated by the bees and I loved her bee boxes, to me they seemed magical. You have to admit it there is something fairytale-ish about the bee boxes, a queen lives in them. :)

My Dad was a photographer for a while and I was his biggest fan. He took a picture of my Great Grandma's bee boxes and I loved it so much that I had it blown up and hung it on my bedroom wall. I love the shabby chic look of the old weathered bee boxes, and at that time GG had passed. She lived with us the last couple years of her life and she truly had become my best friend. I loved listening to her stories about growing up, she was such an amazing person. I still miss her and think of her often. But that picture my Dad took captured not only the beauty of the bee boxes, to me it represented my GG. I haven't seen that picture in years and wonder if it is lost somewhere at my parents house or if it is just lost forever.

I also think that my obsession for photography was born with that picture. It was so much more that just an image on paper.

I found this picture of bee boxes on-line, but they aren't my GG's bee boxes. I just wanted to have a pretty picture to go with this post.


1 comment:

jinxi~ aka angi said...

awww, I love this story and so happy you shared it with me and everyone! I hope you can find that photo.. but the one you painted in my mind is beautiful!
I have a bee stamp I think I may have to pull out and use as inspiration from you and this story!

I think you take great photos too! :)